I do not know whether you’ve heard the news earlier this year but Germany’s most famous cookie brand “Bahlsen” and its Leibniz line of cookies are now enjoyed by millions of people all over the world.
Because their golden cookie that hung outside the headquarters of the company in Hannover since 1913 (my hometown) was stolen! Nobody knew where it was!
Then, a ransom letter was sent – from the Cookie Monster :-)
Photo: Golden cookie outside the Bahlsen office – before and after, now it shows a gap left by its disappearance :-)
At first, everyone expected it to be a joke.
But in the letter the cookie monster stated that it is serious: “Cookie Will Wind up in Trash with Oscar the Grouch”
As you can see on the photo, it was a person wearing a full suit of the well-known Sesame Street favourite: The Cookie Monster; holding the golden cookie.
All the company needed to do in order to get the cookie back:
Give biscuits to all the children in a hospital here in Hannover.
TV channels and newspapers from many countries broadcasted and wrote about it.
To me it was fun news besides all the really bad stuff that happens daily.
It was only right to think “cake pops” and create some cute Cookie Monster cake pops; with golden cookies of course.
Read on to read the tutorial and I hope you enjoy my cookie monster pops.
- Prep Time 20 minutes
- Baking Time 20 minutes in refrigerator
- Difficulty Advanced
For the Cake Pops:
- Please prepare your cake pops as you normally do or use the ingredients and follow these instructions for the OREO kind:
- 1 package OREO cookies or for Europeans: 3 and a half packages a 176g
- 1 8oz. package cream cheese (I use 176g packages, 6.2 ounces)
- Blue Candy Melts
- Lollipop Sticks
- blue sanding sugar
- huge white candy balls (eyes)
- Edible Ink Pen (eyes)
For the golden cookies (optional):
Additional Items you may want to get, makes a nice gift:
- Now we are all set and ready to get started: Prepare yourself before you actually start.
Get everything out on the counter you need, so you do not stress yourself in the middle of the decorating process :-)
- 1. Now, make the NO BAKE Cake Pops: Grind your OREO cookies to fine crumbs in a Food Processor
- 2. Put the crumbmix into a boal and hand mix with cream cheese. I use gloves though, because it gets messy :-)
Especially when you have longer nails. So just use gloves, or when you have kids, I am sure they would love to help you with this step.
- 3. Keep in mind that the dough should have the consistency of play-dough.
- 4. Roll the dough into balls, then refrigerate them for at least 10 minutes to firm up.
- 5. Now melt your blue candy melts.
- 6. Dip a little bit of the Lollipop Stick in the melted candy, then stick the Lollipop Stick in the Cake Pop (half way). Let the Pops rest a bit in a styrofoam block or cake dummy so the candy melts set within the cake pop.
- 7. With a knife, cut out the mouth of the cake pop – this will be the mouth of the cookie monster (see photo).
- 8. Now dip the Cake Pop in the blue candy melts, shake off all the excess and use a toothpick to remove the candy melts from the mouth only, do this quick so the candy melts won’t dry. Now sprinkle blue sanding sugar over the entire cake pop. Repeat with all cake pops (if sanding sugar is attached to the mouth, please remove with toothpick as well) – let them dry in a styrofoam block.
Note: If you have no blue sanding sugar around, you can use a toothpick to do Cookie Monster’s fur.
- 9. Heat up your black candy melts in a microwave-safe bowl, using a toothpick, paint the cookie monster’s mouth with the black candy melts.
- 10. In the meanwhile, draw the eyes onto the sixlets (I made white fondant balls since I had no sixlets) with an edible ink pen (Americolor) and allow ink to dry! After, attach the sixlets to the cake pop with left over candy melts. (candy melts work like glue)
- 11. Now for the cookie:
All you need are mini Leibniz cookies (or any other cookie), golden luster dust, edible glue (what you can use also: almond extract or vanilla extract, even vodka works fine) and a paintbrush.
Get a tiny bit of luster dust out of the container and pour it in a small bowl. Add the liquid (not much!), mix well, then dip the paintbrush in the mixture and paint on the cookie.
Repeat with all cookies.
- 12. When cookies are dry, apply a small amount of black candy melts to the cookie monsters mouth and attach the golden cookie.
There you have it; the cookie monster who stole the golden cookie.
I absolutely love the outcome. I love all sesame street characters but I think, the Cookie Monster is my favourite, besides Elmo =)
I hope you guys like it and try it out sometime.
Wishing everyone a blessed day and now…
Go get some cooookies :D