So I baked a cake! A chocolate cake and another mini chocolate cake.
Colorwise I thought rosa/pink/red would be just perfect for this for the inside, ombre looks are just wonderful. With each layer of frosting, the color got deeper, I love it when colors “fade” into eachother. On the outside I frosted the cakes with white frosting, simple as that.
Ok let’s see what this recipe is all about, hope you enjoy the photos I have taken also.
- Prep Time 10 minutes
- Baking Time 20-25 minutes
- Difficulty Easy
For the cake batter:
- 2 cups of all pupose flour
- 1 tsp. of baking soda
- 1 cup of unsalted butter
- 1 cup of granulated sugar
- 1 cup of firmly packed light brown sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 6 ounces of unsweetened chocolate (ca.180gr)
- 1 cup of buttermilk
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
For the buttercream creamcheese frosting:
- 4 cups (460 grams) confectioners sugar (icing or powdered sugar), sifted
- 1 cup (226grams) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 16 oz creamcheese
- food colors (if desired)
Note: See while you’re making the frosting whether it is enough or not. When I did my frosting I always poured in more powdered sugar than I had on the recipe list, and also more creamcheese. Make sure you have enough, thats always better.
I’d recommend to always have 2 or 3 more packages of powdered sugar in the house and maybe 2 more packages of creamcheese. I cannot really tell you the EXACT amount of ingredients I used for this amount of frosting because at first it was not enough, so I added more to the mixture. Just try it out, taste it, add more, or if it is okay, leave it as it is. Sorry guys, next time I will write it down so I dont forget :-)
How to make your cake:
1. melt the unsweetened chocolate in double boiler, then let it kool for about 5-10 minutes.
2. preheat your oven to 350 F (170 Celsius)
3. pour together the flour and baking soda, then set aside
4. in a large bowl, cream the butter and set on medium (mixer)
5. add sugars to the butter until it’s all fluffy (approx. 3 mins)
6. add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition, crack the eggs in an individual bowl first if you want, this way you can avoid cracks.
7. add the unsweetened chocolate but make sure to do it slowly so you don’t sramble the eggs, then mix it all well together.
8. add the dry ingredients in 3 parts, in between add the buttermilk and the vanilla,
with each addition you want to make sure that all ingredients are all well mixed together but don’t overbeat, this is very important.
9. spoon the batter into a springform pan(s)
10. now bake everything for about 20-25 mins (test with a toothpick, when it comes out clean, the cake is ready to take it out of the oven)
11. let the cakes cool out for about 10 mins, then remove from the springform pans. You should cool them completely before you ice/frost them.
How to make your frosting:
1. In an electric mixer, or with a hand mixer, cream the butter until smooth and well blended.
2. Add the vanilla extract.
3. With the mixer on low speed, gradually beat in the sugar.
4. Scrape down the sides of the bowl.
5. Add the milk and beat on high speed until frosting is light and fluffy (about 3-4 minutes).
6. Add a little more milk or sugar, if needed.
7. Tint the frosting with desired food color (I use the paste food coloring).
And now see here how the chocolate cakes turned out in the end:
See how mini this one is?? My blackberry looks like a huge phone.. :-)
Love the faded colors, getting more intense and deeper with each layer
Hope you liked my 3rd and final Mother’s Day post, let me know:
What did you guys do??
Happy baking everyone!!