I know, I know…it has been very quiet here on the blog.
I have good reasons though :)
I was on vacation, on a wonderful island!
Sal, it’s an island which belongs to the Cape Verde islands, absolutely stunning!
Mind if I share a couple of photos?
And yes – of course Cake Pops enjoyed the trip as well ;)
You might end up wanting to go there for your next vacation.
I can definitely recommend it, guys.
We had a great tour around the island with Anne Seiler, the lady in the purple dress below, (if you want more information, click here for her facebook page which is also in English) who is such a hero for the whole island!
She started a project: “Help for the Children of Terra Boa” which helps children to have an education.
Anne is helping the people of Terra Boa unselfish, with love and without any bureaucracy – absolutely amazing.
She has a detailled list of things that are needed for the children, especially clothes.
So we packed a suitcase full of clothes, I even got my friends to clean out their closets :)
We met the children and especially one girl stole my heart.
We took a lot of fruit from the hotel because the children do not get enough vitamins over there – you should have seen their eyes when they saw the apples and oranges! It was overwhelming, I can tell you.
This is a sweet photo I have seen recently on their facebook page, you would not see many kids in Europe or the States THAT happy and just grabbing for the fruit. It was really humbling.
Ohmy, I so want to go back…
Before I get sad and all, I will start with the detailled tutorial for my Vanilla Cupcakes, after, I will show you how to make vanilla cake pops.
- Prep Time 10 minutes
- Baking Time 12-15 minutes
- Difficulty Easy
- Servings 12-15
For the Vanilla Cupcakes:
- 1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vinegar
For more cupcake decorating tips and techniques, please click here.
- 1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees / 180 G Celsius and prepare your cupcake pan with cupcake liners of your choice.
- 2. Pour together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt, set aside.
- 3. Add 1/2 teaspoon vinegar to the milk and set aside for about 3-5 minutes.
- 4. In another bowl, add the 2 eggs and mix with handmixer. Now pour in the sugar and continue to mix for a minute.
- 5. Now add vanilla extract and vegetable oil and mix.
- 6. On low speed, add half of flour mixture, beat, then add half of milk mixture. Repeat until everything is combined and well mixed. Scrape down sides of the bowl too.
- 7. Now pour the rather thin batter into your cupcake pan and fill up the cupcake liners 2/3 full.
- 8. Bake in your preheated oven for about 12-15 minutes, I usually reduce the heat after 10 minutes, because my oven tends to get very hot!
And the cupcakes get a nice domed top! If you are not sure whether the cupcakes are ready to take out the oven, use a toothpick, stick in the center of the cupcake, if it comes out clean, the cupcakes are done – nicely domed.
- 9. Let cupcakes cool for a couple of minutes before you remove them from the pan. Let cool completely on a plate or wire rack.
- 10. When completely cooled, we will start to make the cake pops.
Pictorial for you:
See it here:
- Prep Time 20 minutes
- Baking Time 10 minutes in freezer / 30min in refrigerator
- Difficulty Easy
- Servings approx. 36 Cake Pops á 19gr
For the Cake Pops:
- cooled cupcakes / or cooled baked cake
- approx. 170-200 grams Frosting / Buttercream – Maybe my favourite Frosting? Click here!
- scale (to weigh cake balls)
If problems occur while making cake pops, please read my Cake Pops 101 Troubleshooting Guide – maybe you’ll find the answer to your problem!
- Prepare yourself before you actually start.
Get everything out on the counter you need, so you do not stress yourself in the middle of the decorating process.
- 1. Now, make the Vanilla Cake Pops: Peel off the paperliners and then rub the cupcakes together over a big bowl, crumble them into fine crumbs.
- 2. Put the crumbmix into a boal and hand mix with buttercream/frosting, add it bit by bit. I use disposable gloves, because it gets messy. Especially when you have longer nails, when you have kids, I am sure they would love to help you with this step.
- 3. Keep in mind that the dough should have the consistency of play-dough.
- 4. Roll the dough into 1″ balls or weigh them, which I recommend (19g), then refrigerate them for at least 30 minutes to firm up, or put them in the freezer for 15 minutes.
Here is a summary for you:
And you are done with your vanilla cake pops!
And please click HERE to learn how to dip your cake pops in candy melts etc.
Wishing you all a sweet rest of the week and happy cake popping!